www.flickr.com

Saturday 5 February 2011

2C Reflective Theory Task ..

Reading through the 'Reflective Practices' reader, Ive found myself using all the experiences, reflective skills, evaluating and learning skills without even thinking about using them. 
'Gardner' writes about the way we learn, VAK 'the idea of Visual, Auditory and Kinaestetic learners' (Gardner, reflective practices) this is a very interesting point, I am definately mainly a Kinaestetic learner, practical. I feel this has an effect on my Professional career and my teaching also where my memory of choreography and the way I teach is very practical and kinaestetic. This also then continues onto 'Reflection-in-action is often fostered in artists who respond to what is happening as it happens, (if you are dancing across the floor and something is not working you change the steps as you are moving) it tends to be a 'hands-on' way of working' (Donald Schon, The Professional Practitioner, Reflective Practices) This example in 'Donald Schon' section is very relative to me during my choreography and teaching experiences and career, as I use it everyday. I could choreograph something in my session plan for a class and when I get into the class the timing doesn't fit or it doesnt feel right so I will do it again and change it to something that fits and feels good in the movement. 
The reader also asks to think of ideas that we like? .. but the one in the reader about being a dancer is spot on for me, I always have seen myself as being a kinaesthetic learner because I have never been seen or seen myself as an 'Academic' and have always learnt and do learn through practical, or practical experience. When I thought about it and looked into this a little bit more through tests 'businessballs learning' and 'Identify your learning style' (websites for tests to see which you learn, take a look) I found that I am mainly kinstethetic and I thought about how much I used this but I also thought and found out how much I do use more Visual learning also, more than I realised. 
I thought about this more and thought about my dance teaching skills to improve my students I have to explain to them visually by correcting what I see (for example ballet correcting posture) or even demonstrating practical or giving an example through story/imagery (for example for my 6 year olds I say while doing a demi plie think about being in a toaster, if they stick there bottom out they will burn it, if they let there tummys go they will burn their tummy's so to stay straight) the use of imagery I use alot. 
I feel this works, reading the reader, I am also going to consider how my students learn and how I can relate it to my professional career through finding different ways and thinking about how I show and explain the classes to help them to keep improving. For example some things I explain I may have to explain in a different way or using imagery for someone else, this will benefit my teaching.

 Reading through the 'Using journal writing to enhance reflective practice by David Boud' I found myself realising that I dont actual sit and write a Journal, and who does? But I find myself learning and reflecting in this way all the time, making a note and persuing it, improving it in my next class and engaging my students, evaluating and thinking of my classes and always thinking of ways to explain and impove them. I am a journal myself I just dont always write it down. 

Reading through other peoples veiws on reflection I found that 'If during a performance you approach and audience member and start an improvisation with them you can't rely on anything pre-planned and you can't reflect after the event because it's too late. You have to consciously reflect in the moment and adjust your performance to match what the audience member gives you' reading this from 'Mark Iles' blog that this is also relevent to me as a performer, I have had experience in a lot of contemporary workshops and performances, this doesnt normally happen specifically in performance but is not unusual but in Practice, rehearsals we have to improvise to make the movement and choreography happen between us especially working as a duet or more people. We include tasks for example using specific parts of your body to make contact with which engages and start the movement off and flow, this also requires then the 'muscle memory' (Tharp's, Articulation of Reflective Practise) We must remember and muscles to re-do what we did and keep the movement flowing in the choreography. 
Often a use of video/dvd is required and we will evaluate and reflect on the practise to where improvement is needed


2 comments:

  1. I found this a really interesting post Laura - especially the links you included to help assess what type of a learner you are. I enjoyed doing the test on 'businessballs learning'. I think you write with a nice mixture of inward and outward reflection and it's great that you are on to the Reflective Practices section already - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like all the learning theory is to the fore - and you are engaging well with the course - what ages do your teach? Do any of the ideas for adult learning compare with your research with these ages? in more general rather than perhaps dance skills?

    ReplyDelete