www.flickr.com

Monday 21 March 2011

3b 'The Networked Professional Reader'

The Networked Professional Reader, in reading this part I did find it interesting due to that it related to the Professional Industry of which I am a Professional in.

Definition: 
'a work related community held together either close working affiliation or more distant but common work interests or needs'

Some networks maybe groups of dancer or even working relationships, some more distanced for example teacher and graduates. Some maybe more formal identity like university program. 
These 3 types all relate to me in my networking, I have facebook for friends and this has groups on it one of which is dancers 2010 graduates The Hammond and another is graduates of The Hammond which is official to the head of Dance at The Hammond to keep in touch with and how our careers are going. And of course university program is my Blog and interacting with you guys!!

In the reader it says about Axelrod's 'The Prisoner's Dilemma' theory and 'in the context of a professional network, we might consider how patterns of stimulus and response with in our networks operate, and how we can take advantage of them for our own benefit, and that of the wider network?'

Well I think everyone has done or does do this for our professional network I will have friends who have jobs now who I can ask questions and maybe even ask or get a contact for me to email or contact for me to get a job. On Linkedin (as I mentioned in my current networks) I have been through and joined some of the cruise ship/hotel groups to be accepted as a professional into these groups and get mysef seen and networked so I could contact or be contacted by recruiters or people in the industry/company to get contacts to send my information too. 
I feel there is no harm in helping one another I know sometimes its competative with knowing contacts and gettings contacts, like auditions some people do not like telling other people that there are auditions because they think they have a better chance? 

Affiliation part of Reader:
'With a network of support that will help us when we are in need' 
I see this in two ways when I need something, someone, a friend, somebody to talk too, I will go onto my personal facebook, chat or phone a friend.
When I need something, information, or at the moment I am currently looking for a job so I will talk to all my friends and Professional contacts to get information/emails/contact for me to get a job.
This just means my need are that I need a job and I will ask for all information people have to help me with this process. 


'Is Professional networking an extension of our innate cpacity and need to affiliate for survival as Professionals?' 
I feel this is totally hitting the nail on the head in the Entertainment, Musicals and Dance Industry, in most cases it is WHO you know and network with more than WHAT you know. 
Do you agree??

11 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about the classic "It's who you know, not what you know" within the entertainment industry. I have found this frustrating as I did not come from a theatrical background, so when I started out in the acting profession I had to build up my network of contacts from scratch. However, I believe that if we work well, are pleasant to be around and prove valuable to our employers, it is possible to build up these connections. Like you, I have sometimes had repeat employment from the same company or director, which just goes to show people can be incredible loyal if you impress them.

    I guess that we need to be constantly on the look out for opportunities and people that might be worth trying to add to our professional network, but whilst maintaining integrity and not irritating people! It's a difficult balance sometimes don't you think? Knowing when to be persistant and when to back off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and I think many will agree also, is it just the Entertainment Industry though? Or in everything?
    Because we find it fustrating because we are in this industry and a hard industry but does this occur in other industries?
    Yes I am currently building my portfolio as we speak a good networking site is Linkedin (as you can see on my posts) I find this very helpful in finding links/contacts to contacts so I can email/send my information to them its very useful for me, take a look? it may help you also?
    Yes persistant and backing off it is very hard for example at the moment I am sending out CVs and my information to hundreds of companys, groups and various people in the industry and I am not getting alot of response from some so my agent has said to send them again every few weeks until you get a response, but I feel do I need to do this because it maybe sending wrong vibes about me but then the persistance is good!.. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tricky I think because ever potential employer is different. Some people will be irritated whereas others may admire your balls in being persistant. In my experience it's best to make letters as specific as possible rather than just a standard one to many people - I try and find out what people are doing and write for a specific part that I think I would be good for. It can be frustrating but I have twice managed to get myself a job at The National Theatre in this way, which gives me hope! I think it's also very important to focus on the people that you have previously worked with or who know you work, as you are much more likely to get a response. I suppose thinking about this section of the course, it's about adding solid links to your network and not losing them once a job has come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I totally agree with this, and it is good you can go into detail of which part you wish to apply. With dancing I am applying more as a field as a professional dancer to be involved in there onboard if a cruise, in there productions. There are no specific parts really, if there is a job vacant for dance captain this is different but as a Dancer it is to be a dancer in there productions, in my case. It would be different for maybe other dancers?
    But yes I agree with the detail and that each email is individual to each company/job applying too, and I do try myself to do this by a different cover email each time.
    Unfortunately the people I used to work for yes I no and I am greatful to have them as contacts but they in a different field to my Profession really, I was a dancer, dance captian, assistant choreographer but it was mainly Daytime and Evening Entertainment for their guests at the hotel, so like an Animator/Club Representative which was a great experience and good start, now I am looking for a Professional Dance job to continue in my performing and travelling, but I do agree dont throw away previous employment/employers they could be useful contacts in the future.

    Yes I think also this section is about adding solid links and as it is Networking, exploring different ways to get and keep contacts to benefit and help with our Professional Careers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - interested in your comments on LinkedIn. As a professional network the opportunity to link with others outside the profession are enormous and the way it tots up the number in your network is fascinating. I am indirectly linked to 800,000 through my connections thereon - and I have less than 70 connections there myself. The groups thereon are also useful to join in discussions with people who have the same issues. Thanks for reminding me of LinkedIn again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura it looks like you got people into a conversation - and looked at networks as they pertain to your own workplace.

    Please get in touch with me p,nottingham asap again because we might have missed you in sending out emails, you are lozzy109 are you not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. we need to try and understand why neopotism is so much the norm in our business. It seems to that it is simply one form of networking either through family connections or friends. The dilemma for most young performers who have know connections is to find ways of creating our own networks which will serve the same purpose as family or friends. It is extremely hard to make that break through however hard you try. In my own case I am trying to develop connections with directors and producers who have auditioned me and liked what I do but rejected me on the grounds on the way I look for that particular part or as often as not I am too young. I believe that if you try to keep in touch with such people that you will maximise your chances or work.

    As I have said about myself elsewhere I still want to perform even though I am working as a teacher. If I have to make a choice between the two at some point I will choose performing over teaching. In my view most performers who teach feel the same.

    At some point in my career I may have to embrace my second choice but for now I shall to continue trying to develop my performing contacts and networks rather than my teaching contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, in response to your comment on your previous employers not being in the right field, I believe like you are shifting in terms of your profession so will your previous employer. As stated ‘many learners will move into a variety of different, possibly unrelated fields over the course of their lifetime’. (Siemens, 2004) You never know when contacts can become of help, they can even aid as a bridge in connecting you to new employers of interest. I'm currenly setting up a linkin profile thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura in response to your comment on your previous employers not being in the right field, I believe like you are shifting in terms of your profession so will your previous employer. As stated ‘many learners will move into a variety of different, possibly unrelated fields over the course of their lifetime’. (Siemens, 2004) You never know when contacts can become of help, they can even aid as a bridge in connecting you to employers of interest. I’m currently setting up my linkin profile thank you for sharing this source.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura, like yourself and Stephanie I totally agree that ‘It’s not what you know but who you know’ within most professions this saying applies, that is why I can now see the importance of staying in contact with those you are gaining from as selfish as that sounds! What are your current most important sources of imformation?
    Tanisha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi laura, I agree its who you know not what you know and having previous employers can benefit you and be useful contacts in the future.

    ReplyDelete