www.flickr.com

Tuesday 29 November 2011

My Thoughts on the Ethics of my Work places...

I have quite a few things to consider when planning for my inquiry and the Ethics are very important. 
In my Teaching Assistant role at the First School I work at I have to consider: 
- The children I use are under 18years, only 4/5years old
- Consent from the school, headteacher and classroom teacher
- Not to use any names in my inquiry making them confidential and anonymous
- I can put names on the adults with their consent
- I will not ask irrelevant questions eg age, this is not appropriate for my inquiry

In my other work place which is my Professional Dance setting, My Dance school I have to consider: 
- If  I question the children, I need consent off every parent and again anonymous and no irrelevant questions
- If I question parents then this will also be anonymous 

Making sure that whoever I do include in my inquiry whether it be a focus group, audio/visual questionnaire they are totally aware of what I am doing, my plan of inquiry and why I am inquiring. 
All information I recieve is confidential and, I and the university in my assignment are the only people to veiw this information but the research, plan of inquiry and the inquirywill be information to benefit the relevant people in my inquiry. 

any thoughts on my Ethics for my inquiry? 

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't really thought before about the study of children that are so young (your 4/5 year olds). I imagine that most of your research would have to be through observation? Or perhaps not...I couldn't really imagine a 4/5 year old being interviewed but then again I don't have the experience of them that you do!

    With regards to ethics, I imagine it can be tricky to obtain parental consent, and that you have to be very clear of explaining the purpose of the research to parents, and that it is nothing to worry about. What sort of a reaction have you had so far?

    I hope you do get consent to do the research you wish, as ultimately the children will benefit from your developed understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I feel brave doing young children, after doing my classes I asked them a few simple questions and then which they prefered so know real sit down interveiw or focus group as at this age would not be appropriate.
    I am very lucky in that working in the school as a teaching assistant and pe teacher I have been able to explain to the classroom teacher and the headteacher and I have there consent to do this research in this aspect because none of the child names/age or any information about the child other than male/female are on these questionnaires they are happy for me to proceed as it will be seen by myself and the university an does not go into any confidentiality/ethical issues so the school have authorised my information and have no need to recieve consent from parents.
    Whereas on Thursday I am going to evaluate and observe my class and teaching skills, before the class I will speak to all the parents and let them know what I am researching and gathering information on and my inquiry, from the parents I have spoken to they have said this is fine because it will benefit them and is more about my teaching than the children so its ok.
    I have already benefit from this research and gathering information for my inquiry and developing my teaching skills

    ReplyDelete